There is nothing quite like a dance floor crowded with the people you love the most to make you feel like you’ve nailed this wedding reception thing! When prepping for your wedding, one of the most important things you’ll choose (aside from your partner) is your playlist—the perfect mix of tunes can get the love endorphins pumping, have your guests singing and dancing to their favorite songs, and set the tone for a fabulous evening.
But choosing music can be a daunting task—music is so subjective! Lucky for you, our DFW wedding DJs know a thing or two about what works for wedding playlists. In our experience, it’s a good idea to work in some timeless hits that guests of any age or taste can appreciate. To help you get started, we’ve put together some of the best summer tunes that will have your guests groovin’ and celebrating all night long.
Bring the Funk
Adding a little funk to your function is a surefire way to get your reception party started right. Start with these hits to get your playlist moving right along—and your guests moving right along the dance floor!
- Dee-Lite: Groove is in the Heart
- Stevie Wonder: Superstition
- Parliament: Give Up the Funk
- Earth, Wind, & Fire: September
- Jackson 5: I Want You Back
Slow it Down
Like any solid dance party, you have to slow it down from time to time. Here are some of our favorite tunes that will have all the lovebirds swaying in each other’s arms.
- Talking Heads: This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
- Etta James: At Last
- Ed Sheeran: Thinking Out Loud
- Al Green: Let’s Stay Together
- Otis Redding: That’s How Strong My Love Is
You cannot have a true summer wedding without at least a few seasonally inspired singles. In our opinion, if you add these songs to the lineup, you’ll automatically have one of the best summer playlists around.
- Sublime: Doin’ Time
- Desmond Dekker: Israelites
- The Drifters: This Magic Moment
- Jorge Ben: Pais Tropical
- Dusty Springfield: Son of a Preacher Man
Play the Wedding Classics
If you’re looking for wedding song ideas, it’s always okay to stick with the classics. These tried and true tunes have been featured at countless weddings and for good reason: people can’t help but dance to them.
- This Isley Brothers: Shout
- Michael Jackson: Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough
- Bee Gees: Stayin’ Alive
- Prince: Kiss
- Journey: Don’t Stop Believin’
Hot Hits of Today
Your wedding guests come from all walks of your life, and most every party has that person who stays up-to-date with current music. Here are some hot hits from recent years that are versatile enough to keep the young and old tapping their feet.
- Kendrick Lamar: Humble
- Migos: Bad and Boujee
- Mark Brunson & Bruno Mars: Uptown Funk
- Justin Timberlake: Can’t Stop This Feeling
- Pharrell Williams: Happy